Tuesday 23 June 2015

4. Partner Perspective


To change things up, this blog post was written by my brother and BCBR race partner.  His perspective....



I think I heard about the BC Bike Race for the first time about five years ago.  I hadnt been mountain biking for long, and it sounded pretty hardcore.  When I moved back to Calgary in 2012, the MTB bug definitely bit me, and soon trails that seemed too steep or too hard before were all I wanted to ride.  How could I loop that into a 30km+ epic?  This was my thought when I looked at the trail map.

But, can I even ride that stuff on the coast?  My time at the 2013 Gearjammer race in Squamish had me doubting this.

Youre supposed to ride your bike down this?

After some training and a few races in 2014, including the Canmore and Lethbridge Short XC races and the Fernie 3, the technical skills were starting to get there.  I wasnt sure if I was  ready to do the BCBR in 2015.  Was I willing to shoulder the cost in family time, training time, and dollars?  With lots of encouragement from my brother and a bit of soak time, I was ready to commit.

At least I already had the right bike.  140mm Pike on the front, dropper seatpost, and Snakeskin Nobby Nic on the front - this is overkill for the local Alberta trails, but if I was building a bike from scratch for BCBR, this is how I would have built it.  I built a bike to bolster my weakness - technical riding.


One week after the end of cyclocross season in November, I started on the training program.  Winter nights (and some 5AM wakeup calls) were for sitting on the trainer in the basement, and cyclocross world cup videos on the home theatre (with TrainerRoad running along the bottom).  I had acquired a Stages power meter a few months earlier, and at first the output looked like this:




Going from ten hours a month on the bike during the off-season to thirty eventually had an effect.  Riding the fatbike helped too.  In April, during a team ride, I looked around while riding up the Gleneagles climb in Cochrane, and realized it was just me and a couple of Cat 1/2 guys.  I guess I must have been doing something right

At the end of April I decided that doing my VO2max intervals would be more fun on the velodrome than in the basement, so I turned up at the first Thursday night race and pinned a number on.  I ride a fixed gear bike to work every day, and although it had been awhile, this was not my first time on the track, so I wasnt intimidated by the bike.  The first two races, a scratch race and a win-and-out went well - 1st place.  The third race was an avalanche; I decided I didnt need to win every intermediate sprint, so I tucked in behind the second fastest person to bide my time.  Unfortunately for both of us, at the end of the sprint she apparently stopped pedaling, which sent her down hard, and according to my Garmin, sent me flying at 61 km/hr up and over the Glenmore Pool before landing back on the track, head first:



The next thing I remember after the crash was the ambulance pulling onto the infield half an hour later.  A trip to the hospital confirmed that I didnt break anything, but had a concussion (and was also introduced to the wonders of Tegaderm for road rash).  This was one week before I was supposed to fly to Vancouver to pre-ride 3 of the stages of the race with my brother to help allay my fears of BC gnar.  Not good

This was not the only setback in April.  A routine stop at the dermatologist back in March turned something up, but I wasnt to worry.  They did a local biopsy, just to confirm that it wasnt something more serious, then a letter came in the mail - melanoma on my chest.  Also not good

Mid-May, and two weeks after the concussion (which was mostly better by then), I was being put under for surgery on the melanoma and a lymph node biopsy.  Two decently-sized scars (so much for my male modelling career) and some more recovery time.  While I was waiting for results, training for a bike race was not at top-of-mind, but I tried to keep at it.

Cancer and a concussion, double whammy.  Training plan took a hit but bounced right back.

The good news finally came on June 3rd - the initial biopsy had removed all of the cancer, and there was no metastasis.  I was downgraded to low-risk.  Game on.  I celebrated by signing up for the five hour Organ Grinder race four days later.  
27th out of 51 in Open Men class, with wounds still healing...  (Photo:  Masa Higuchi)

  

So there you have it - my training lead-up was a little more eventful than I would have liked, but Im going to make the most of it.  Ive cleaned every square inch, and torqued every bolt on my bike.  June 28th - lets do this.
(Photo:  Masa Higuchi)

No comments:

Post a Comment